B.C. Premier Christy Clark said Tuesday the new Pap smear paper was a “massive embarrassment” for the province and an example of the government’s “overreaching” on sexual-assault victims.
Clark said she has called for the paper to be retracted and that she would be pressing charges against the newspaper.
In a statement to CBC News, a spokesman for Clark said the paper was the subject of a review and the paper had not been reviewed for accuracy.
The spokesperson added the premier had received a request from the BC Sexual Assault and Sexual Assault Response Team to withdraw the paper.
The review will include an examination of the accuracy of the paper and a detailed discussion of the issue with BC Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr. Carol Tudge, Clark said in the statement.
“This is not a political statement,” she said.
“This is an assessment of the evidence available and a discussion of what can be done to ensure that this paper does not become an embarrassment for the Government.”
Clark has previously said she would consider taking action against the paper’s publisher, The Wall Street Journal, if it does not retract the paper or apologize to victims.
B.C.’s sexual-harassment watchdog said it is reviewing the allegations in a report expected to be released in the next few weeks.
Sexual-assault-survivor group the B.A.RC has called on the government to suspend the publication of the Pap smear.
Premier Clark said that she will be pressing for a retraction of the pap smear paper.
“I will be asking the BC Chief Health Officer to look at the paper, examine the paper as an example to ensure it does the right thing,” she told reporters in Burnaby.
As well, she said she is also going to be pushing for the publication to be rescinded.
While the provincial government is reviewing a new Pap smearing paper, a new complaint filed by a victim in Victoria says she has been harassed and bullied by an editor and editor-in-chief at the British Columbia Herald and Review.
Victoria’s chief police officer is investigating the claims against the Herald and the Review, said Const.
It is the second time Kowelski has been in contact with the Herald after the paper reported the alleged sexual harassment of a woman in Victoria.
She said she received a tip in October that a complaint had been made against the woman, but said she could not confirm her identity or her complaint was made.
Kowelsi said she had been in touch with the woman to report the harassment and was told she would not be receiving a response from the paper until Feb. 2.
She declined to identify the woman.
This woman has been sexually harassed by two senior editors at the Herald & Review.
We are investigating.
— Victoria Police (@VictoriaPolice) January 6, 2021 The Herald < Review has also said it will investigate the allegations made against it.
The paper has said the allegations are false.
The Herald > Review is also conducting an internal review.
The BC College of Physicians and Surgeons is also investigating the allegations.
Earlier, Kowinski said the woman who made the complaint had received no notification of her complaint, and she is concerned about the paper taking any action against her.
She said she was in touch and the Herald& review was aware of the allegation and that the paper has agreed to provide a response.
After her call to the BC College, Kowsinski released a statement saying the woman has not yet contacted her.
She did not provide a name or address for the woman but said the complainant has contacted the BCSO and that they are continuing to work together.
BC’s sexual- assault watchdog said the newspaper’s decision to publish the paper will be reviewed in due course.
(With files from The Canadian Press)